Friday, October 27, 2017

The Beauty of Community

Recently I had the humbling experience of receiving a ceremonial footwashing by more than 100 women. As each one knelt in front of me and offered words of love and encouragement, they handed me a single long-stemmed rose. I was overwhelmed and moved to tears by this outpouring of their hearts. I was also left with a beautiful arrangement of roses in varied colors! When I got to my home and began to sort and arrange the roses in a huge vase that had been provided, I found that in the process of transporting them, a few stems had broken. I was determined that no matter what the condition, each rose would be proudly displayed in my home, so I carefully cut a few more stems to the length of the broken ones and gave these shorter stems their very own vase, where they could be a thing of beauty on their own.

As I often do, I saw God showing me a lesson in something as simple as a bouquet of roses. I began to think how like those roses women are. Each of us beautiful as individuals, but gathered together, we are a sight to behold! Some of us are strong and healthy, standing boldly for what we believe in and supporting one another. Some of us are broken and feeling lonely and worthless. But that is when the miracle of love is strongest, as a few of the strong reach down to the broken, surround them, and once again make them strong in the beauty of community.

8 comments:

  1. What a blessing it would have been to be there and listen to women share how you have impacted their lives in so many different, beautiful ways. I pray that your heart, mind and soul were able to absorb all that they were trying to communicate. May He bring their words back to your heart/mind "just in time" when they are needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Pastor Don have had a “Ripple Effect” on our family, Sue. We moved to Phoenix and joined CCV in January 2001. Sadly, my husband lost his job during the recession in 2009, so we moved to Missouri in March of 2010. My son stayed in Phoenix and began his family, who all attend CCV, including extended family members and their friends. I had a difficult boss for awhile, and Don’s message on Living for “an audience of one, The Lord!” echoed through my mind on those challenging days. We all think highly of you and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story with me, Anita. I love hearing about what God is doing !

      Delete
    2. So great Sue! And Anita - Phoenix misses you!!! XOXOX

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post, Sue! I'm excited for you and Don as you start on a new adventure.

    ReplyDelete